Monday, October 10, 2011

Designers Craft Blog Connection - Halloween

Welcome to the Designers Craft Blog Connection for the month of October. The theme this month is Halloween which is just so much fun.

My project for this month is really several projects that I combined to create an entire table centerpiece.

Starting from the right; my favorite project is the Halloween Putz House. I had never heard of Putz Houses until recently. They are an old Pennsylvania Dutch custom of tiny, glittery houses, collected to make entire Winter villages. I decided that I wanted to make a Halloween version using Sizzix dies.

Here is a detailed photo and a description of the dies used.

The house was created using the House, 3D by Eileen Hull. I used black matboard and lightly brushed on some white acrylic paint then adhered glitter with Mod Podge. To make it appear more spooky, I tore the door off and glued it on at an angle. I also glued the two front window frames at an angle as well. For the curved window at the top and the windows at the side, I used the Tim Holtz, Mini Openings Movers and Shapers Set. I took a piece of aluminum foil and glued it to the inside back wall of the house so that it would reflect the flameless tea light inside. Along the back of the house is a fence created using the Iron Gate die.

I added the tiny Halloween decorations that I found at an estate sale. I also added a doll's arm coming out of the "ground" so that the scene was a bit more spooky. I had found two disjointed doll arms in a box of toys from an estate sale a while back and wanted to do something with them for Halloween. The raven perched on the hand was just another bit of Halloween humor.


I also added a witch and a flurry of bats flying over the house. These are glued onto wire in the same manner as I did in this other project.

The next project is a collection of handmade, fabric pumpkins. You can see more details here.

The large spiderweb on the table is actually a Sizzix die that I designed. I wanted them large so that you can create a spiderweb table runner.

The final piece is very near and dear to my heart. It is my plastic Halloween pumpkin from when I was a child. I painted a candle holder black and placed my pumpkin on top of it. If you pop out the green stem there is a light bulb and a place to insert a battery.

To view many more Halloween ideas, click on the Designer Crafts Blog Connection button on the right and continue through the blog hop. Boo!

This is linked to:
A Little Knick KnackBetween Naps on the Porch, Blue Cricket Designs,  Cherished Treasures, Coastal Charm, Creating a House of GraceHomemaker on a Dime, I'm Topsy TurvyKeeping it Simple, Life Made Lovely, Making the World CuterMarvelously Messy, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Not So Simple Housewife, Passionately ArtisticRook No. 17,  Running With Glitter, Savvy Southern StyleSew Much Ado, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The 36th AvenueThe DIY Home Sweet Home Project, The DIY Showoff, The Girl Creative, The Southern InstituteThe Trendy Treehouse, Type A, Very Merry Vintage Style and Vintage Wannabee

8 comments:

  1. I love your Halloween Putz house! The arm coming up from the ground adds the perfect touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the little house! Very cute!

    Hop'n by from 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Halloween display is great!! I really love the Halloween putz house!! I have a few vintage ones for Chrismtas and i aodre them!!I recently decorated my Dining Room for Halloween after not decorating for Halloween in a few years ( since my boys grew up and left).

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is an awesome scene...the hand is really, really creepy. i love the house a lot...you did a really great job with it.--stopping by from a little birdie told me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is that? I love your large cobwebs. Enjoy the season. I came from House of Grace. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! The arm is pretty funny. What a great Halloween vignette you designed. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love your Halloween vignette and the little Putz house especially!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pretty glitter house! Beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday link party--hope you'll be back this week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...