Sunday, May 5, 2013

Designers Craft Connection - May Blog Hop

Welcome to the Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop for the month of May. The theme this month is Handmade Wishes. I chose to do a project that would showcase items that were handmade by others a long time ago. As always, almost all of the supplies used are thrifted.

I often find beautiful crocheted doilies at estate sales. I know these pieces take a lot of time to make so I  imagine that they hold many dreams and hopes within their intricately woven threads. I used several to create a wreath in celebration of the women who crafted these lacy pieces. This is my Mother's Day offering of handmade wishes to honor their handiwork.
I began with a wreath form and cut strips of burlap and wrapped it around the form. 
Next, I draped handmade doilies over the wreath while trying to vary the many shades of creamy white. I added lots of layers, including vintage {machine made} lace embellishments to creates  texture.
Next I draped several strands of faux pearls.
Then added handfuls of rhinestone jewelry to add sparkle. I love how this is dripping with lace, pearls and rhinestones.
My handmade wish is to honor everyone who patiently makes things by hand for the enjoyment of future generations.

Please use the DCC blog hop button on the right to view more awesome project created by a very talented group of crafters.

I am honored to be featured at:

This is linked to:
504 MainBeyond the Picket Fence, Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingCoastal Charm, Common GroundDIY Home Sweet Home, Elizabeth & Co, Faith, Grace, Crafts, French Country CottageFrom My Front Porch to YoursHey What's for Dinner Mom?, Lamberts LatelyMaking the World Cuter, My Repurposed Life, My Romantic HomeMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Pieced PastimesSavvy Southern StyleSew Can Do, Sew Much Ado, Simply DesigningSomewhat SimpleSugar Bee Crafts, The 36th Avenue, The Colorado Lady, The Shabby NestThe Thrifty GrooveThe Thrifty HomeThe Trendy Treehouse and Twin Dragonfly Designs

32 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I so love this! If you need a home for it, my office would be the perfect place. ;) Thank you for sharing the project. "Wishing" you a wonderful day!

    -Suzann Sladcik Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely! It's an instant heirloom! Such a beautiful way to display so many treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely it would be perfect for a wedding. http://craftwithcartwright.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. so charming!

    visiting via tuesday'streasures and hope you'll visit me at http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2013/05/uncommon-lovely-kate-lewis.html.

    happy wednesday!

    michele
    hellolovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It's a great way to preserve and display all of my grandmother's work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! That is beautiful and such a great way to use those special items. It really is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Great use of lace. I'm looking for ideas for items in my collection.

    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2013/03/needlework-finds.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great...thanks for sharing! This would be perfect to link-up to my new series - "Create It Thursday." It's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I just joined your Linky Party.

      Delete
  10. This is just beautiful!!!
    Definitely your newest follower -
    ( visiting from The Shabby Nest )
    Big hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful! Charming, creative, a true treasure!
    Visiting from The Thrifty Groove.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is exquisite. I can only wish to create something so beautiful one day. I agree with an earlier poster that this would be perfect for a vintage wedding. It is absolutely gorgeous.
    I saw you at the link party over at Lamberts Lately so I thought I would pop by to say hello and comment on the wreath, I am so in love with it btw.
    I would love it if you could stop by my blog and let me know what you think. I am very new to the blogging scene and just trying to learn as much as I can.
    http://make-it-yourselfmumma.blogspot.com.au/

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is SO SO beautiful! I had to pin the full on picture to the Penny Worthy Board I love it so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynda!! OMG!!! This is absolutely stunning beyond belief and just my style. Thanks so much for sharing this amazing wreath!! Beautiful!!!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty! It would be perfect for a wedding! Thanks for linking to TTF!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynda, the wreath you created is totally wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us. Oh, I see where Debbie commented a couple of comments before me and I agree, it would look fabulous in her Victorian townhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Have a great day,Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am now following your cute blog.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful idea!! Love all the different laces together...I make similar wreaths with beaded fabric from vintage dresses...now you have inspired me with lace! Such lovely inspiration...you are quite talented! Catherine (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is lovely! It would make a wonderful Mother's Day gift.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. I just linked up to your party.

      Delete
  21. I first saw this on pinterest and knew I would be dropping by, and now I find you've shared it for my blog party!!! WHOOOHHEEEEEE what an awesome wreath!! I'm overboard in love with this thing!! It just oooooozes with my favorites! Pearls and Lace and rhinestone blingy goodness!! I'm so excited to have you join my party! I'm following you! Your creation is over the top gorgeous.
    Blessings!
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great project. Can you tell us more about the form you used? Is it just a wire form or is it filled out with something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wreath form is made out of tightly wrapped straw. It seems to be a softer straw than some that I've seen in the craft store. It is dense enough to hold a straight pin in place. Thank you so much for asking.

      Delete
  23. Super gorgeous wreath! So pretty! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I absolutely adore this beautiful wreath and want to try to make one myself, so may I ask a few questions? Did you just staight pin the doilies and lace onto the wreath or did you glue them on and the same question for the pearls and rhinestones? What an awesome inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great idea! I am making these as table center pieces for my wedding. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...